Translate

Friday, June 14, 2013

Monday, June 03, 2013 Tim Tebow, NFL Combine, SB Picks...

I initially jotted down these ideas for my sports blog a while back, before the draft while the combine was taking place, so I'm going to post those ideas here first and then catch up in the world of sports.

At the time, Tim Tebow was still in a back-up role to Mark Sanchez with the NY Jets.  Now he has signed a 2 year contract with the New England Patriots (I feel this is the 2nd best option that could have happened for him with the best option being the Jaguars (Tebow going home to Florida, fighting against Blaine Gabbert for the starting job, a great running back (Maurice Jones-Drew) and potentially great WR (Justin Blackmon) already in place, just makes sense).   Going back to the Jets, I felt the only reason they signed Tim Tebow in the first place (yes, I know they traded for him and he had his pick of where to go), they got Tebow because he beat them.  Plain and simple, I said it, Tebow beat, no embarrassed Rex Ryan and the Jets in the 2011 season.  Tebow beat the defense that was built to stop the Patriots (at least Rex Ryan claimed so).  You get the guy that beat you, shades of Welker to the Patriots, but instead of using him and winning with him, like Bill Belichick did with Welker, Rex Ryan decides to make Tebow the back-up... then when Sanchez gets hurt, he moved him to 3rd string. It was in my opinion one of the lowest and rudest things a coach can do to a player.  Hopefully his stay in New England will net better results, it's already guaranteed to have more class.

Enough about that though.  Time for my pre-season Super Bowl picks.  I made these picks before the NFL Draft but after the draft I stand by them.  I know these will come as a surprise to anyone who knows me, but I'm not picking the Dallas Cowboys to be in the Super Bowl.  As much as I love "America's Team" (A monicker I'll get into in another blog down the line), I am not picking them.  I think Romo is a great QB, top 10 in the NFL in my opinion, but the TEAM isn't there yet.  My picks are for the AFC, Denver Broncos vs. from the NFC the Seattle Seahawks.  The Broncos signed Wes Welker in one of the biggest moves of the off-season.  They did a lot of other stuff very quietly though, like bringing in Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie opposite Champ Bailey, signing Shaun Phillips to play LB, and drafting guys like Sylvester Williams to help with that defensive line that lost Elvis Dumervil.  Yes, they cut Willis McGahee in the past week, but they'll move right on to the Super Bowl without him, like Baltimore did.  The Seahawks also had an impressive off-season, first trading for Percy Harvin.  Percy is now back with Sydney Rice, his teammate for a few years in Minnesota.  They also brought in Antoine Winfield, some people are saying to play nickel, but he was the #1 corner last year in the NFL by ProFootballFocus.com and you team him with Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor and you have by far the top secondary in the NFC maybe even the NFL.  Seattle also has a head coach that isn't afraid to "do the wrong thing" and take chances on offense/special teams with gimmick plays.  Yes, losing Bruce Irvin for the first 4 games hurts, but does it really?  You have a 2-2 start possible with or without him.  Carolina should be a game the Seahawks win, SF is a toss up, Jacksonville should be a win and Houston being another toss-up.  This team could start 4-0 or 2-2 with any combination of results there.  Then comes week 5 and you get Indy, a toss-up, but then you get a 4 game stretch where you could possibly dominate all 4 opponents (Ten, Ari, StL, TB).  Seattle also has a week 12 bye week to rest up and make that final push to the playoffs and Super Bowl.  That's my prediction anyway.  Denver vs. Seattle, Super Bowl 48.  Manning vs. that Seattle Defense.  BeastMode and Skittles Nation against Von Miller and Champ Bailey.  That's my prediction.

Thanks for reading my sports blog, there will be more to come I'm sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment